Acadiana Regional Airport:

Past, Present and Future

Past

Acadiana Regional Airport's history is strongly related to military aviation in the Acadiana Region.  Between 1946 and 1954, the airfield was used by civil aviation. In 1954 the Department of Defense selected the airport for development as a naval air station.

Due to the runway length requirements of naval jet aircraft, a total of 4,000 acres were purchased by the Federal Government and an 8,0002' concrete runway was constructed. The Naval Air Station at New Iberia continued to function until 1964 when the military abandoned the facility.

Upon the closure of the naval field, the Iberia Parish governing body petitioned the U.S. government for release of 2,100 acres of air station property for civil aviation use.  The petition was granted in 1970 and the airport was given its present name, Acadiana Regional Airport.

Present

The Acadiana Regional Airport is presently classified as a General Aviation Transport airport by the FAA. By definition, the airport is capable of serving all classes of aircraft.

A variety of aviation-related businesses are located at the airport. Numerous helicopters and seaplanes operate in and out of the airport in support of the offshore petroleum industry. Commercial passenger service is provided by a number of charter operators at the airport.

Future

From an aviation system perspective, Acadiana Regional is clearly the region's primary general aviation airport.  The large volume of high-performance aircraft and the numerous regional users of the airport facility will fuel the continuing corporate and general aviation development.

Significant growth has occurred in the Airport Industrial Park, with service, construction and light-to-medium manufacturing activities leading the development.